Monday, August 24, 2015

The Bungee Cord  8-24-57

Hello,
     Well, I am back at my computer and in the United States after a 10 day trip to Europe to see some Martin Luther sights (2017 is the 500th anniversary of the Reformation) and visit some friends.  Seeing where Martin Luther spent some of his childhood, one of the first Lutheran Churches, the place that Luther was hidden away when he had a price on his head, and the University where he taught and lived out his life all helped me understand the events of the day and how to extrapolate them into this day.
     But more than gathering an appreciation for events and history, I found myself  more profoundly appreciative of friendships in general, and the friendships we have with the folks we visited.
     In Amsterdam we stayed with a couple of which the woman was an exchange student at my wife’s house when they were both in high school.  In Germany, we spent our time travelling and staying at the house of the parents of a girl who was an exchange student at our house when we lived in Arlington, Ohio (about 13 years ago).
     Friendship really is an amazing thing.  Friendship has people open up their home and share their lives with another in intimate ways.  Friendship has a way of spanning the distance of time and space that makes neither seem that much of a distance.  Friendship has a way of welding together the cores of people’s lives whose peripheral parts are extremely different.  Friendship has a way of broadening one’s horizons and taking a look at one’s own life without feeling the need to become defensive or protective.
     Having come home from a time with friends in Europe, I find myself thankful for such friendships.  Could I live without them?  Of course.  But with them my life is fuller, deeper, and richer.  Thank you God for friends…European friends, and you, my friends.
     But most of all thank you God for God’s friendship to me, a friendship that many in Europe and around the world and in our country are saying they can live without.  In Germany, where people pay a “church tax” as a way of maintaining their place in the church, many are opting out, saying that there are things in life to which that money needs to go that to them puts the church (not necessarily Jesus, though) as something they can live without.  In Amsterdam there are many churches, most of them just cultural buildings, because for whatever reason, the things of the church have become something that a person can live without.
     The fact that many people live fine lives without being connected to the church is evidence that a person can live without it.  But having had a glimpse of the wonder of friendships, I am thankful for the friendship that I find week after week in the church where I am embraced by a God who so loved me that he sent his Son to live, die, and rise again to seal that friendship.  I am thankful for the friendship of a God who doesn’t want me to wonder if I have or have not fallen out of his thoughts and care as he spoke that care to me in the waters of Baptism and echoes it over and over again at his table.  I am thankful for the friendship of a God who wraps me in the arms of people who see the pain in my life, the shame in my life, and the sin in my life and say, “In this place those things have no voice.  Only God has a voice and his voice is of forgiveness and mercy.”  I am thankful for the friendship of God who is resilient to my fickleness and irrepressible in his faithfulness to me.
     It is true that God’s friendship with me exists outside of the confines and gathered community of the church….just as my friendship exists with my European friends when we are not with them face to face.  But I am thankful that I got to rub shoulders for a week with my European friends, and I am more thankful yet, that I get to be invited into the house of God every week to have my life deepened, widened and brightened by the transformational friendship of God.
     The song may be a bit smaltzy, but it’s true: What a friend we have in Jesus!
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment