Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Bungee Cord 8-31-15

Hello,
     It has been years (an awful lot of them) since September greeted me with the ringing of the school bell.  Even though decades have passed, I remember with clarity that seems recent, the anticipation of what the upcoming year might bring….what it might bring with the teacher that I was hoping not to get, what it might bring with the heavy academic load, what it might bring with getting back together with people for whom to say they were friends would be a grand understatement, what it might bring as my formal educational life was coming to an end.  Some of those memories are fond….others sour.
     As I listen to many Christian people, I hear a sour word of fear about education. Some are fearful that the things that kids might learn in school will lead them away from the faith.  Some are afraid that the values that students will learn in school will overwhelm the values of their faith.  Some are afraid that the activities that go hand in hand with school will steal them away from their participation in their faith.
     Although I see kids following pied pipers of the world, adopting values that don’t mirror Christ, and becoming too busy for the things of faith….I don’t find myself putting the onus on the schools and education.  I believe that nothing has greater grasping power than the grace of God.  I believe that nothing has greater talent in character formation than the Holy Spirit. And I believe that nothing can bring greater delight than being part of God’s work of making all things new.  So, I tend to believe that the onus might more honestly lie with us…we who have been given this  Gospel light  of unmatched brilliance to shine.
     Maybe the fears that we have of education come for the possibility that we have been a bit guilty of hiding the Gospel light under a bushel basket – a basket woven of rigid rules, of judgmental ears to questions, and blinded eyes to our own sins.
     The truth is, that with God’s Gospel light falling upon the things that kids learn in school, I am certain that their learning will give them even more for which to praise God when they come to understand the intricacies of creation and that it is all held together.  When God’s Gospel light shines upon a student’s  relationship to their neighbor and the world, I am certain that they will discover the dynamism of being a grace-full person that far outshines even being a good person.  When God’s Gospel light shines upon the accolades that the world can give, I am certain that their shimmer will pale compared to being called a Child of God.
     So tomorrow as you get on the bus, hop on your bike, walk through the campus, or take your place in an online class…or watch your child do so …do so with adventure and expectant surprise, because with the bushel atop Gospel light sent tumbling by this Bungee Cord, I assure you that God’s grace will be “lamp unto your feet, and a light unto your path”.
Have a great day.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

    



No comments:

Post a Comment