Monday, October 26, 2015

Bungee Cord 10-26-15

Hello,
Everyone who begins their ministry after their seminary education discovers that there are many things that they don’t teach you in seminary that you wish they would have.  This week, I discovered one of those things: migratory birds.
I was listening to National Public Radio on my way home from work and they were interviewing an ornithologist, a studier of birds.  As I wound my way home through the canopy of fall beauty, I was learning about bird sounds, what those sounds mean, nesting habits, territorialism, and migration.  I was listening with moderate interest to the discussion, but when they started talking about migration, my ears perked up. 
     Migratory birds, said the ornithologist, don’t know where they are going.  The flocks are not led by those who have been where they are going.  For many species of birds, the entire flock is venturing off to someplace they have never been to before, have no idea of how to get there, and are completely unaware of what it will be like when they arrive.  Although it may seem obvious, this came as quite a surprise to me.
I wish they would have taught us this in seminary.
On several occasions Jesus turns his listeners attention to the birds around them.  Maybe he was an amateur ornithologist.  “Look at the birds,” Jesus said, “and see how God takes care of them.”  God feeds them.  God gives them safe places to nest.  Not even one sparrow falls to the ground outside of God’s attention.  “If God so cares for the birds,” Jesus says, “You can rest assured that God will take care of you.”
As comforting as all of the things that Jesus tells us to see in God’s care for the birds, I find that what I learned from my radio ornithologist is even a greater sign of God’s grace.  Scientists have tried to figure out how migratory birds know how to go somewhere they have never been before.  Are their magnetic chips in their brains that are preprogrammed?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  It still remains one of those mysteries that inquiring minds want to know.
From a theological perspective (that is what we learned well in seminary: theology), this mystery of nature speaks to me.  “If God so takes care of the birds of the air, to lead them where they have never been, on a path they have never flown, to a place where they will find good repose, won’t God so likewise do for you,” Jesus might say to you and me.
In truth, every day is a wing flap on an unknown flight for you and me.  Often times I find myself ill at ease to soar into it.  I fool myself into thinking that I have some idea of where I am going, but in truth I do not.  I try to tell myself that I have some idea of what I will meet in each day ahead, but in truth I do not.  I try to comfort myself by thinking that I have control over the flight that I take, but in truth I do not.  In truth, I am like a migratory bird, flapping into the future on a virgin journey.
I suspect that someday science will tell us how God has provided for birds to fly confidently and faithfully as they migrate.  But for me, I already know what gives me the confidence and the faith to wing my way into the future: Jesus’ beckoning call.  That is what the event of which we call the ascension of Jesus is all about.  The Bible tells us that after Jesus rose from the dead, he gathered his disciples and ascended into heaven.
     It is a rather difficult image for us modern thinkers to comprehend this ascension, and so some have asked, “Where did he go?”  I find Martin Luther’s answer very insightful and helpful, “Jesus went into the future.”  That is to say that when Jesus ascended into heaven, he left behind the constraints of time and space, constraints that bind us and hold us.  So although the future may be beyond our immediate experience, for Jesus, he is already there, and that is what I mean when I say that it is Jesus’ beckoning call that gives me the faith and the courage to take flight into it.  In truth, I don’t know anything about the future, except this one thing: Jesus is there.  And as the one who has so loved me in the past and in the present, I find myself drawn, almost magnetically, to his flock leading call, “Follow me.”
Thank you, Mr. Ornithologist, for now I have seen even a greater vision of God’s steadfast care of me when I look to the birds of the air.
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment