Monday, October 5, 2015

Bungee Cord   10-5-15

Hello,
      I just got back from attending my 40th high school reunion (Wow! I am getting old!).  I grew up in suburban Chicago with a graduating class of around 600 kids, almost all of whom I haven’t seen since we tossed our mortarboards in the air in 1975.
     I wasn’t sure what the reunion would bring.  Would I be recognized and remembered?  Would I recognize and remember others?  Would my reception be warm or cold?  Would the memories that came back bring a smile to my face or pain to my heart?
     Turns out that to say it was wonderful is an understatement.  People that I knew well in high school welcomed me with homecoming warmth, and people whom I hardly knew at all 40 years ago were equally open armed.  For some, they were easily recognizable, as they didn’t look very different from the graduation picture that we each wore on our nametags.  Other’s of us had “transformed” a bit and it was a bit harder to decipher our identity, but once deciphered the universal reply was, “Oh, yeah!”
     I found myself remembering class times and team times with many of the folks, as many likewise remembered me.  Of the things for which I was remembered was my time on the baseball mound as a pitcher. Two of the guys who were our catchers were at the reunion as well as a couple of others who ran around the diamond with me all those years ago.  My pitching forte was not a blazing fastball, but a down-breaking curve ball that many found difficult to hit. 
     Curve balls are hard to hit, not just on a baseball field, but also in life.  They knock you off balance and they make your brain go through trigonometric calculations in order to hit them.  Although not many of the reunion conversations revolved around the curve balls that have been thrown at us over the years, if others’ lives have been like mine (and I am certain that they have), we have all seen our fair share of them….hitting some and whiffing at others.
     In 1975 the Lutheran Church put together a new hymnal, “The Green One”, and in it is a prayer that I have often said when I have stepped up to the plate of life.
“Lord God you have called your servants to ventures of which we cannot see the ending, by paths as yet untrodden, through perils unknown.  Give us faith to go out with good courage, not knowing where we go, but only that you hand is leading us and your love supporting us; through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.”
     As I think about the collections of lives and stories at our reunion – ventures of which we could not see the ending, on paths we had never trod, and into perils which we would not imagine – I find myself thankful for the grace of God that has taken a hold of me (and I believe all my classmates) lo these 40 years, giving courage, strength, and hope to persevere…stepping up to the plate day after day to attack what has been thrown our way….fastball, curve, or change up….sometimes getting a hit….sometimes striking out…but  never sent  in defeat to the bench forever!
     A couple of years ago, the Lutheran church put together another new hymnal, “The Cranberry One”, and when I first opened it, I went searching for my at bat prayer.  It’s there!  It is there for me to pray for all the years ahead of me (I doubt it to be 40)…actually for all of us to pray for the years ahead of all of us (for some it will be 40 and more).
     I discovered that I am remembered after 40 years for throwing a pretty unhittable curveball in high school, but my curve ball isn’t anything compared to some of the curve balls that life has thrown and will throw.  So today and everyday ahead of me, as I pick up my bat and step to the plate, I know that I will do so with a prayer rolling through my soul – a prayer that I have often prayed, and a prayer that I have seen answered over and over again – a prayer that I invite you to pray when you take your bat in hand….
“Lord God, you have called your servants…..”
Have a great week!  Play ball!
God’s grace and peace,

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment