Tuesday, November 24, 2015

The Bungee Cord 11-24-15
Hello,
The Greensburg Holliday Parade rolled past our church on Saturday.  As always, it was led by the local color guard slicing the air with the red, white and blue hoisted high.  Behind them came the Greensburg Volunteer Fire Department stepping out in their cream colored parade uniforms.  Intermingled there after were several bands, old cars, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, fire engines, local business floats, alpacas, and politicians.  A mandatory entrance fee for parade participants must have been several bags of candy which were to be thrown to the children who lined the route as if they were hunting dogs at point.  At the end of the 2 ½ hour parade , Mr. and Mrs. Santa Claus rode into town in a hay wagon pulled by draft horses.
It was a beautiful day for the parade: sunny and in the 50’s.  The weather on the last several years was not as welcoming, thus the reason for the thin crowd for those parades..  This year’s crowd , however, filled the sidewalks and edged into the streets.
As the crowd began to gather, I became worried. 
As a sign of the Grace of God, we have, the past few years, given out hot dogs and hot chocolate during parade time: free.  No cost to any one, after all, that is what  the Grace of God is all about: no cost to anyone  (except Jesus, that is).  My worries, you see, came about as I saw the crowd balloon and our supply of hot dogs remain stable.  Three hundred and fifty hot dogs was what we bought, and that was all that we had.  The flyers that we passed out to the parade goers were drawing in a steady stream of hot dog hunters. 
I had stationed myself in front of the church, clerically clad for recognition, greeting people as they walked by and welcoming them to their free hot dogs.  As the parade went on, I was glad to see that people were exiting the church with sour kraut laden hot dogs.  As the parade neared its second hour, I, who had not eaten but a piece of toast for breakfast felt the urge for a hot dog……too late.  They had just run out.  I suppose we could have given more away, but 350 was just about the right number.
Even though I didn’t get my hot dog, I did get something.  I found out that many people would not take our hot dogs for free.  They “demanded” we take their money.  So, a plate was put out with no instructions, and when the parade was over the count was $120.00…..which I will suggest will go to our effort to send 231 (that’s how old our church is) school bags to needy students around the world.
As I consider the $120.00 that was given for our free hot dogs, it seems to me that it might be thought of in a couple of ways.  One way to look at that $120.00 is to say that bears out the fact that grace is rather hard to receive.  Even as we stand before God, there’s a tendency for us to think we have to do something to receive God’s grace, and that get’s us in trouble because then we begin to wonder if we have done enough for the amazing grace that we receive.  But on the other hand, maybe that $120.00 is a sign of thanks, a response to grace.  That is what my offering is every Sunday morning, an offering of thanks that I give with no strings attached on how it is to be used.  So, if those hot dog recipients were giving their money in thanks, and not in payment …… well then, that would have been a wonderful thing.
I do know that many of those who got their free hot dogs were very thankful, because as they passed me with their hot dogs in their hands many said, “This was awful  nice of you.”
“Glad we could do it,” I would say back.
And to those who said nothing to me as they carried their hotdogs parade-side, I said grace-fully, “Have a great day!”
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment