Monday, November 30, 2015

Bungee Cord 11-30-15

Hello,
Today, I write the Bungee Cord having just spent the last week with my three adult sons in Denver.  Two of them live there.  The other flew in from New York City.  It is a different Turkey Table now a days in many ways, but traces of Thanksgiving tables when we didn’t have to travel to be together still appear.  Sitting around the table with them and spending the week with them is a delight that this parent treasures and takes in with thanks.
But I’m back now; back in the familiar settings of my own home, surrounded by the relative silence of the empty nest.  There’s a difference, though, as I sit upon the couch today from my sitting here a week ago, and the difference is a soul settled sense of peace.  One might conjecture that this peace has taken hold of my heart because of the contrast of the frenetic energy that stirs when I’m back with my kids.  There is an increased stirring that matches the highest level of a kitchen mixer when all three of them lower themselves into the bowl of our life.  But I don’t think that is where the peace that I feel today comes from.
I believe that the peace that has taken hold of my soul has come from having been snatched away for a week by the things that matter deepest in my life.  Far too easily do the semi-important, mildly important, and truthfully really unimportant things have a way of tethering themselves to me, tangling me up in them like yards and yards of kite string.  To have my kids tease me about my aged foolishness, to hear them banter with one another, to see them taking on lives of their own, to be invited to share in their dreams and aspirations….well, it was like scissors slicing me free from life-sapping entanglements.  That is not to say that their lives are perfect and unfettered with difficulties, but even sharing their struggles has a way of freeing me from the lesser important things in life to be engaged in the what is far more important.
I don’t think that I am alone in being snagged by life’s tangling strings.  As a matter of fact, I know that I am not.  Getting tangled up in the omnipresent trip-cords of life is impossible not to do.  Everyone needs to have table time, like I have just had,  to snip them free from all those things that entangle us to death so we might be able to take a deep breath of all those things that are full of life and give us life.
I hope that is what Sunday morning around the Thanksgiving table of the Lord is all about.  (Interestingly enough, one of the words that we use for this weekly meal is “The Eucharist”, whose Greek root word is “Thanksgiving”.)  I hope that when folks gather around this table where the bread of life and the cup of salvation are shared people experience the grace of the Lord snatching them away from all the things that are suffocatingly entangling them and freeing them to be engaged in life, life abundant in hope, joy and peace.
I know that that what happens to me.  Although it may seem to be only piece of bread and a sip of wine, my ears are captured by the promise that it is more, God’s promise that his presence is tangibly entangled therein. And in a profound way that words and reason cannot capture, I can feel the snipping of all that the world had tethered me in entanglement, and my lungs freed to take in a soul cleansing breath that enlivens when I dine at the Lord’s table.
The peace that I wallow in today from my week with my kids will soon fall prey to the world’s entanglements, and so I look forward to the table time that we will have again.  Likewise, the peace that soothes me from dining at the Lord’s table is always soon snagged by the trip-cords of life, and so I look forward to the Lord’s table time that I will also have again.
I hope that your Thanksgiving table time brought the refreshment that mine did, and know this: there is a standing invitation at the Lord’s Thanksgiving (Eucharist) table every Sunday in which the Lord seeks to exponentially greater refresh your life with his divine mercy and grace.
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment