Sunday, December 6, 2015

Bungee Cord  12-6-15

Hello,
Last Monday I loaded my lawnmower up into my pickup for its winter tune up.  It is getting older, and as I have discovered with my aging body, without tune ups things just don’t work as well as they did when younger….even with tune ups they don’t, but at least they work.
So after lunch, my lawnmower and I set off for Doug’s.  Doug is one of the employees at the yard tool store.   There are other employees there, but Doug sold us our chain saw, and so we got to know him.  Believe me, Doug knows his chain saws, and with a little chew in his mouth he will tell you everything you don’t need to know about them along with the serial numbers of the various parts that make them up.  I trust Doug, not just with my chain saw, but with my lawnmower, too.
Doug’s place is about a town and a half away from my home, a 15 minute drive up and down the hills.  As I neared it, I noticed that it was missing the normal assorted  variety, age and repair of pickups that normally take their place in the parking lot.  Mmmm, I wondered.  Could it be that I caught Doug at a break in the flurry of business that normally buzzes at his store?
Well, I was wrong.  I had not caught him between business rushes.  Instead, as I neared the glass door that seemed far darker than usual, I noticed a single sheet of white paper taped to the door, and on it with uncommon technological fare was printed from a computer, “Store closed November 30th.  Hunting season.”
A reminder of where I live; out in the country.
I’ve always known that hunting is big here….big enough to close schools…but I didn’t know that it was big enough to close businesses.  True enough, deer hunting season started last Monday, and had I not discovered it by my trip to Doug’s, I would have soon realized it by the constant sound of guns firing in the distance (and sometimes not so distant).
I remember when I was a kid growing up in suburban Chicago, there was a distant sound that likewise gave clue to businesses being closed: the sound of church bells.  In my town, lots of people followed those church bells to places of worship, and businesses followed suit by closing on Sunday morning, partly because lots of people were in church, but also partly because Sunday, like hunting season around here, was a holy-day (holiday).
Now, Sunday is the biggest business day of the week for lots of stores, and youth activities have inundated both days of the weekend.  Some complain and remember those “good old days” when churches didn’t have so much competition, and people flocked to church.
I, however, don’t find myself complaining about the “competition”, mostly because I don’t see it as “competition”.   I would not see an invite to spend an hour with the President of the United States to be in competition with a trip to the mall or even taking part in a ping pong tournament.  So, neither do I see an invite from God to spend an hour with him to be in competition with any other inviting voice.
So, one might ask, why isn’t everyone in church on Sunday morning?  Well, I have to say that I don’t know….but I have a theory….and this is it: people don’t hear God’s invitation.  I think that lots of people hear a moral judgment saying that you should go to church.  I think that lots of people hear an institution that is trying to survive say they need more people to fill the pews to meet a budget.  I think that lots of people hear a self-righteous distortion saying that if you have a lot of doubts or a confused life church isn’t for you.
What I don’t think a lot of people hear is an invitation from God Almighty, the one who has loved the invitee with the life of Jesus, his Son, saying, “Come to church and lets spend some time together getting to know each other and sharing life.”
Maybe I am wrong, but I know for myself, I find that to be an irresistible invitation, an invitation for which I find myself, like Doug in hunting season, turning off all the lights, locking my doors, and ready to post a sign for anyone who would wander to my home, “Closed, Sunday.  At church.”
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment