Monday, May 30, 2016

Bungee Cord 5-30-16

Hello,
This past week I have been having a love/hate relationship with a pair of swallows.
I actually like having swallows around because they snap up the bugs that are flying around in the air, especially mosquitoes.  As a matter of fact, my wife has constructed several bird houses that stand at some distance from our house to encourage their habitation.  Several pairs of swallows have done just what we have hoped they would do, nesting on those bird houses.  So, I like having swallows around.
But I do not want them nesting on my house!  They are messy nesters.  They drop mud when they are building their nests, and they drop something else when they nest in their nests.  I have given them a place to nest, but there is a pair of swallows that has decided that they don’t want to nest in the birdhouses that I have given them.  They have chosen to nest on my house!
I noticed them sweeping in and out beneath our deck which covers a patio constructed next to sliding doors out of our basement.  After many flights I decided that I would take a look-see, and sure enough, they had begun to build a nest atop a vent.  I pulled out a hose and water blasted the nest from the side of my house figuring they would get the message that their nest was not wanted there.  Not so.  As  I was rolling up the hose I saw them resume their sorties under my deck carrying nesting material in their beaks.  So, I unrolled my hose and blasted their work again.  Three times I did that, and three times they continued their construction.
So, I decided to discourage them in a different way.  I put a wire brush atop the vent, which worked for a while.  But they were relentless in their housing choice, and started to build their nest on the handle of the brush. 
My next idea was to block off the area above the vent with blocks of wood…..and that worked for a while.  But they were unmoved in their choice, and they started building a nest by plastering mud next to my blocks of wood.
Even as I write this Bungee Cord in my basement family room, they are outside my sliding glass door, swooping in and swooping out.  I have resorted to placing a hoe under my deck which I have had to use a couple of times to scrape off their nest construction. 
I WILL win this battle.  My choice not to have them nest on my house will overrule their choice to build it there….after all, I am bigger, and it is my house!.
Swallows are not the only thing with which I have a love/hate relationship.  I also have one with God.  That may sound like a strange thing for a pastor to say, but it is the truth.  I love having God in my life because God snaps up all my failures, my failings, and my sins so that I can live my life in peace.  But there is part of me that is fine with having God around my life, living in a distant built birdhouse, but I don’t want him nesting on my heart.  God has a way of messing up my desire for vengeance, my blindness to my faults, my need to be right, my preoccupation with the faults of others.  I have, on more than one occasion, tried to blast him out of my life….But God does not give up.  I have, on more than one occasion, bristled against God and built blockades to keep him out of my life….but God does not give up.  I have even tried to scrape God out of my life….but God does not give up.
God has chosen to nest in my life…and with swallow determination, God will not give up on his choice.  God keeps on swooping into my life, and unlike the swallows who continue to swoop onto my house, God….not me….will win….after all…. God is bigger than me!  And in truth, that swallow-like determination of God is ultimately the foundation of my faith.
I may have a love/hate relationship with God, but God has shown me that he has a love…and love only relationship with me.  Likewise with you.  Thank God!
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment