Monday, July 11, 2016

Bungee Cord 7-11-16

Hello,
     Amongst the menagerie that lives with us atop our hill are two outside cats.  My wife acquired them a couple of years ago from one of her client’s whose home was in need of getting rid of a couple of kittens.  Miss Nicklebee and Attaboy, their names.   Sharing our home site together, I have gotten to know them, and they have gotten to know me, and in this growing mutual understanding, I have come to see that their relationship with me much mirrors my relationship with God.
     Miss Nicklebee is the slighter of the two cats, her coat a brown camouflage.  Life has treated her a bit roughly (my wife pried her from the jaws of our dog), and she has become a bit skittish around me.  She often hides in recessed corners of the woodshed that is their home, keeping herself just beyond my reach, but close enough to sniff my hand when I raise it near her.  When she ventures out of her fortress, she often makes her way close to me as if she wants to be picked up or petted, but as soon as I bend over, she darts off, outside my reach.  She is hard to catch.
     But when I do catch her and gather her up in my arms, she melts.  Her skittishness transforms into complete confidence and trust.  She delights in being held belly-up and having her tummy scratched.  She purrs and hums in perfect peace….all’s well.
    When it comes to my relationship with God, I, like Miss Nicklebee can be a bit skittish.  I, too, find myself sheltering in what seems like safe refuges of my own discerning, close enough for God to reach out to me, but distant enough for me to cautiously sniff and smell and avoid God’s grasp.  And when I venture out from the shelters of my making, I, too, mimic Miss Nicklebee’s “teasing” of God, venturing close, but darting away when God stoops down to gather me up.  I, too, can be pretty hard to catch.
     And when God catches me….and God always does….I find myself doing just what Miss Nicklebee does in my grasp: spontaneously purring, gracefully resting, full of trust in the one holding me that I am glad to recline in a worldly venerable position.  That’s what happens to me when God catches me at the communion table and feeds me extravagantly with his tangible grace.  That is what happens to me when I get caught up in worship and song.  That is what happens to me when God’s promises overwhelm my fears when God catches hold of me in prayer.  In God’s gracious embrace….I melt.
     Given the wonder of what happens to Miss Nicklebee when she is in my arms, you would think she would learn not to skittishly avoid my grasp.  I don’t know why she continues in skittish fear. 
     Given the wonder of what happens to me when I am in God’s embrace, you would think that I would, likewise, learn to not to skittishly avoid God’s grasp.  Why do I continue in skittish fear?  Why?  God, melt my heart so it will no longer be so.
     Next week….Attaboy.
Have a great week!
God’s grace and peace (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger


No comments:

Post a Comment