Monday, September 12, 2016

Bungee Cord 9-12-16

Hello,
     Yesterday before both of our worship services, I assumed my place curb-side in front of our church waving at people as they pass in their cars.  It is what I do every Sunday morning, weather providing.  I have become somewhat of a Greensburg  fixture, to the point that when often when my members tell a friend that they attend First Lutheran Church, the response they get is, “Oh, you go to the church with the waving pastor.”
     I have been the “waving pastor” at the churches that I have been the pastor for over 20 years.  I have done it for a couple of reasons.  One reason is that Christians were never meant to be some secret society, mysteriously meeting behind guarded doors.  Jesus took his message of God’s grace and mercy to the streets, and likewise, I believe, so should we.  Just like the football player who lifts weights, we who are strengthened as we worship in our church, are not meant to stay in the weight room forever, but to get out on the field and play the game.
     The second reason that I wave is because I hope that my wave is received as a gesture of God’s grace to all who pass by.  I don’t know where the people are going to whom I wave.  Some are at work as they pass in their trucks and semi’s.  Some are going to play as they tote their four wheelers in trailers.  Some may be going to worship at some other church.  But for most of the people who pass me, I have no idea why they have travelled by 246 S. Main Street in Greensburg on a Sunday morning.  So I wave at them all, hoping that my brief and somewhat distant attendant care to their life will be a sign to them that they are somebody’s.  I hope that they get a brief notice that they matter….matter to me….matter to God.  In a world where mattering is as passing as paper plates, and is as hard to reach as the peak of Everest, I hope that my wave will speak the essence of the faith that holds me, that whoever you are, without doing anything to earn it, you matter to God.  And so I wave….a gesture of God’s grace.
     Some of my parishoners joke with me asking me, “How many have you brought in this morning?”  They joke with me because they know that the answer to that question is not the reason why I am waving away.  Fact is, I don’t know that anyone has stopped by because of my waving.  It would be wonderful if they did.  But it is no less wonderful that when the time in life comes whey those “wavee’s” find themselves up against a brick wall, or watching their lives slip through their fingers, or wandering aimlessly in a life with thin purpose, or being cast aside by something that they have done…..when they look in the mirror and see a nobody….they will remember that someone who didn’t even know them, someone standing out on a curbside wearing a white robe and a colored stole, someone outside of a church….waved at them….and with that wave spoke a word of gracious truth…that they are somebody….somebody worth waving at….somebody worth dying for.
     So, although you are not driving past First Lutheran Church today, I hope that you see me waving at you, waving at you in my weekly Bungee Cords.  These weekly words may not be deep and profound, but I hope that they always catch your eyes as a gesture of God’s grace.  You, too, are somebody….somebody worth waving at….somebody worth dying for!
     Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment