Monday, March 20, 2017

Hello,

     You may recall that my wife and I added an 8 week old puppy to our household just before Christmas, dubbed McMahon.  Being puppiless and kidless for the last 9 years, I had forgotten how much energy young ones have and how much work it is to bring them up.  McMahon’s puppy curiosity keeps him constantly on the prowl to find things that he can get into (and destroy), and his constant desire to play, which includes nibbling with his very sharp little alligator teeth, is exhausting.  When he sleeps, he sleeps.  When he is awake, he is awake!

     Nevertheless, over the course of these three months, I have seen something in McMahon that is a daily reminder of the kind of God that I have.

     I often wake up in the middle of the night, and I have discovered that if I just lay there in bed it often takes quite a while for me to get back to sleep.  On the other hand, if I just get up and lay myself down somewhere else, my return to dreamland is much quicker.  Since our house has bedrooms enough for my three boys, I have numerous slumber selections.

     As it happens, McMahon sleeps the night in his kennel which is located in our entry closet just outside of the bedroom that is supposed to be mine.  Unfortunately, his wake-up time is early, and he lets us know that he is ready to take on the day by heart-rending whimpers and awakening barks.  Being a puppy, we know that we should not tarry in responding to his calls because of his puppy sized bladder and puppy like bladder control.  Since my wife is generally in our bed, unmoved through the night, she is the one who rescues McMahon from his kennel to take him outside.

     However, outside is not where he ventures.  With churning paws sliding across the hardwood floor, he has a prior task in his mind, and that is to find me.  The day cannot start for him unless he has located me and slobbered me with his love.  Whether I am awake or not, when he finds me he jumps on top of me, sticks his cute puppy face in my face and lathers me with licking.  The excitement in finding me is almost uncontrollable for him, and only after finding me is the day ready to begin.  That is my McMahon…..and when I read the Bible, I discover that is my God.

Luke 15:3 “So he told them this parable: 4‘Which one of you, having a hundred sheep and losing one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go after the one that is lost until he finds it? 5When he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders and rejoices. 6And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbours, saying to them, “Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.” 7Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who need no repentance.”
     What a way to begin each day, with the reminder from McMahon, that God’s day cannot begin without finding me, either!  You, likewise.
Have a great week!../Desktop/IMG_1237.JPG
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger



No comments:

Post a Comment