Tuesday, May 9, 2017

The Bungee Cord
5-9-17




Hello,


     I am not a very good waiter…that is, one who waits.  I try and find the fastest lane at the tollbooth, so I don’t have to wait in traffic.  When I go to the grocery store for a few items, I use the express lane, and I get impatient with people who “shouldn’t” be there.  When I am at a stoplight, I get a burr under my saddle over those who don’t pay attention and because of their delayed reaction time cause me to sit through another red light.  But the worst time of waiting for me is when I am sick.  I am not a good patient.  If I have a headache, I am a bit of a grouch (maybe more than a bit) waiting for the aspirin to kick in…and if I have the flu…well, you don’t want to know the moaning and groaning that comes from my ailing body.


     In many parts of the world people wait for periods longer than either you or I would tolerate to get the help that they need when they are sick.  I was in Cameroon a handful of years ago and discovered that in many of the remote villages people who are sick wait weeks for medical care to come, and if they try to go and get help they have to walk miles, sometimes more than forty miles, to get help.  As you might guess, because of the time of waiting illnesses often increase and death is sometimes the result of the passage of time without help.


     This year, our Lenten project at First Lutheran was to come to the aid of those who wait for medical care.  Each Sunday in the children’s message we talked about the things that are right in most of our homes that help us when we are sick or hurt: bandages, ointment, aspirin and the like.  Working with Lutheran World Relief we discovered that for $10.00 per day we can keep a first aid station stocked in remote villages, bringing their wait time to zero.


     So, on Easter Sunday and the first Sunday after Easter, we gathered in the little “Firsts’ Aid” boxes in which people had been collecting money during Lent, and when it was all counted up we gathered enough funds to keep a first aid station open for 825 days, that is $8250.00.  There was a rumble of excitement rolling through the congregation as I asked the kids, “Do you think we gathered in enough money to keep a first aid station open 1 day?  More than that.  20 days?  More than that.  100 days?  More than that.  500 days?  More than that.  825 days!


     Sometimes we look at the problems of the world and see how big they are.  When we made our final count of our “Firsts’ Aid” offerings, we got a chance to see how big God’s love is that overflows out of our hearts!


     Waiting is hard, especially when one is ill or hurt.  Hopefully our offerings will be a tangible truth to the words of Isaiah 40, “but those who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.”


Have a great week.


God’s grace and peace, (ggap)


Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment