Monday, August 14, 2017

The Bungee Cord  8-14-17

Hello,

     I am a bad golfer.  Off the tee anyone standing in the fairway, or at least my fairway, is under no threat of being struck by my ball.  Worms need to stay in their holes when I shoot my long shots.  If there is sand or water….I find it, and when I am on the green, I have a hard time finding the hole (maybe if there was sand or water in it, I would one putt every green).  I am a bad golfer.

     Nevertheless, I keep on golfing.  I golf, not for the sport of it, but for the exercise.  As many of you know, I am spending this summer trying to refocus and rejuvenate.  One of the prescriptions given to me to do so is to get some daily exercise.  That is where golf comes in.  There’s a course about 5 minutes from my house that if I get there before 8:00 a.m., it is wide open for me to play at my own pace.  So, with my clubs on my shoulders and my golf shoes on my feet, I walk and carry nine holes several times a week.  For the exercise.

     I have to keep on reminding myself that it is for the exercise and not for sport, because when I forget to maintain focus, I can find myself getting very frustrated and even upset, which defeats the purpose of doing things that help me clear my head.   After all, it is only golf.  So when I duff my tee shot, chunk my approach, blade my chip shot, and king kong my putt, I tell myself as I put my club back in my bag and put the straps over my shoulder, “It is only golf.”

     I find that an easier thing to say when I am playing by myself, because when I am playing with others whose skills exceed mine, embarrassment, failure, and despair creep their way into my psyche.  The score card that compares me to another lets me know how bad I am.  The time I spend looking for wayward balls while those who I am playing with are patiently waiting for me lets me know how bad I am.  The shots out of the sand that go sailing over the green and almost hit my playing partners let me know how bad I am.  Like I said, I am a bad golfer, and when I am playing with someone else, I find myself not humbled, but humiliated.

     Fact is, this is the way that, as Martin Luther would say, “the Devil, the world and my sinful self” are at work seeking to corrode my life with sadness and shame.  We never play life alone.  They take things and twist them around, often times making things that are of no great importance weigh heavy in our lives.  Things like the size of the house we live in, the status our job holds, the physique of our bodies, the style of the clothes that we wear, and the score on our golf card and make of them measures of our worth, and in doing so they always keep peace, hope, and joy at bay.

     But Jesus would remind us that it is only golf.  When it comes to worth and value, Jesus says, “I died and rose for you.  What could make you of any more or less value or worth.”  That is why Jesus gathers us together every week so that having heard the chorus of “the Devil, the world and my sinful self” throughout the week, he might speak with a solitary clarity of our worth and value.  Weekly worship doesn’t make us more valuable or worthy, it makes our value and worth clear in our lives….showing us that we do have something to offer our neighbor in need, that we do have something to stand upon when faced with the reflection in our mirrors, and that we do have something to count on in the presence of the divine.  Jesus died and rose for you and me.  What could make us more or less valuable than that.

     I am a bad golfer….but it is only golf.

Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment