Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Bungee Cord 9-26-17

Hello,

     Just got back from my niece’s wedding that took place in Avon, Colorado.  Elevation: 8500 ft.  I was there not only as an uncle, but also a pastor, and so I presided at the wedding.  It was a wonderful event.  However, after the service, during the reception, I discovered something that I had not known before.  It is hard to dance when the air is thin.

     The air is thin….very thin…at 8500 ft., nevertheless as the reception was coming to a close and I had grabbed a seat, having danced several dances with my wife, I heard the introduction to a song that magnetically pulled me back onto the floor.  “Shut Up And Dance With Me!”  That was the song….a peppy song with a fun beat….and the chorus belting out an invitation that I could not resist.  So, my wife and I leapt (well, maybe slogged) onto the dance floor and showed everyone there how to do it.  Now, I may not quite be ready for dancing with the stars (I fail on two accounts: I am not that good of a dancer, and I am not a star.), but I have been known to be able to trip the light fantastic and keep “Stayin’ Alive”.  But it wasn’t too far along in the song that I could feel my legs getting a bit wobbly, and my breathing getting labored.  Not to be shown up by the younger and fitter there, we kept on dancing, but when the song was over we slogged (definitely not leapt) back to our seats, and I leaned over and said to my wife, “This altitude really saps the strength out of me.”  She nodded.

     It is hard to dance when the air is thin.

     How thin is the air that the world gives us to breath?  How full of hope is the air that comes with the promise of a friend, “You can count on me.”  How full of peace is the air that comes with the brandishing of guns and bombs?  How full of joy is the vows at a wedding, “I will”.

     It is not that these things are not in the air that the world gives us to breath: hope, peace, and joy.  It is just that the fullness of each of them is measured, not full.  Friends move.  War happens.  Spouses pass away.  The air that the world gives us to breath is thin, sometimes making it hard to dance.  Sometimes making it impossible to dance.

     But when I hear the Word of God say, “I will never leave you or forsake you,” (Hebrews 13:5) or “For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 8:38), I feel strength and power pulse through my body to dance that only comes with thick air.  And I can feel my feet start to shuffle to know that God will not ever move away from me.  I can feel my shoes start to electrically slide to know that I am lead by the one who knows where the still waters and green pastures are and peacefully leads me there.  And I can feel my arms raise and gyrate to know that nothing….NOTHING….can separate me from God’s love in Jesus Christ.    Thick air!  Thick air filling my lungs.  Filling my life.  Giving me strength to dance….and keep on dancing!

     When I was a kid there was a simple “contemporary” song that we would sometimes sing in church, “Lord of the Dance.”  The chorus sang,
“Dance then wherever you may be.
I am the Lord of the dance said he.
And I’ll lead you all, wherever you may be
And I’ll lead you all in the dance said he.”

     Take in a deep breath of the divinely thick air that God gives us to breath, and see if you don’t find yourself surging with power to dance!

Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment