Tuesday, October 3, 2017

The Bungee Cord  10-3-17

Hello,

     As many of you know, I live in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, the Laurel Highlands.  Our home is perched on a hill between two ridges, Laurel Ridge to the east and Chestnut Ridge to the west.  Laurel Ridge rises to about 2700 ft.  Chestnut Ridge is somewhat lower.

     Of all the times of the year, October is the time that I most enjoy where I live.  The rolling hills that were summer covered with the soft, fluffy, green deciduous maples, oaks, locus, sassafras…just to name a few….. take on a patchwork of quilted color.  Rusty red.  Dazzling yellow.  Brilliant orange.  It is beautiful. 

     Some say that such beauty confirms their belief in God, however not so for me.  As beautiful as the October hills are, I know that their beauty is short lived.  Soon the hills will be replete with nothing but barren trunks and limbs.  It is true that some may say, and I am one of them, that there is a stark beauty to the winter hills.  But there are some stark things in nature that I don’t think any one finds beautiful:  hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, killing storms.  The problem that I find in using nature to confirm and understand God is that nature delivers a capricious, unsettled, and heartless God.  A God who will provide great joy one minute, and then the next minute slash that joy into fear, seemingly without blinking an eye.

     For me, what confirms and gives me understanding of God is not the passing beauty of nature.  It is the ugly, horrifying, excruciatingly painful Calvary cross that has laid its scar upon every moment of time.  That cross does not waver in its message and meaning.  That cross is the evidence upon which my belief is nailed, and my understanding of God is enfleshed.  There is no fickleness to such a God who enthroned himself on the most terrifying and grotesque sights of human nature and overwhelming it with conquering love.  Of course, I cannot categorically say that the cross proves God’s existence in the universe, but as with things as universally important as love, there are some things that one comes to believe with all of one’s heart as one abides in those things.  The cross is not a beautiful field picked daisy whose plucked petals oscillate with the wondering words, “He loves me.  He loves me not.”  The cross stands petal-less in time’s field saying one, and only one thing, “I love you.”

     Just as many, including me, travel to take in the beautiful sights of nature, sights that are breath taking in wonder and splendor, I, along with many, travel every Sunday to church to cast my eyes upon that instrument of death out of which flows the breath of life.  To refrain from making this weekly trip can entrap me in fleeting hopes, passing peace, and balloon pop-able joy.

     So, let me offer my invitation to all of you to come and visit me in October (not all at once, please) so that you can see how lovely this world can be.  Let me also offer to all of you God’s invitation to spend time in God’s house so that you can see just how much God loves you and how much you can trust (believe) in that love.

Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment