Monday, October 23, 2017

Bungee Cord  10-23-17

Hello,

     Ah….the good ole’ days.

     A couple of days ago it was 80 degrees, sunny, and more summerlike than autumnal.  So, I decided to do what one does in the summer on such days.  Wash my car.  It was a job that needed to be done as I had not given it a bath since the spring when I left my Greensburg job where the automatic car wash is located.  The dirt and grime had built up.  The shiny metal of the hubcaps were more black than metallic.  Even my headlights were dimmed from the build up of smushed bugs on them.  It was time for a wash.

     I retrieved a bucket, squirted some Dawn Dish Soap in it, and filled it full of water from the outside hose.  I sprayed my Mini Cooper  down first to loosen the dirt, and then I got my seldom used wash mitten, dipped it in the bucket and took after my car with “Karate Kid” vengeance.  (Wax on/ Wax off motion.)  First, the roof, then the hood, then the side panels.  It is amazing the shine that had been hidden for months.  Finally, I took to the windows……and that is when I remembered “the good ole’ days”.

     I remembered that as a child, before the days of self-serve, when one went to get gas, one rolled over the pneumatic hose that rang a bell, alerting an attendant of your arrival.  The attendant, being so summoned, emerged from the station, came up to the driver’s window, which you cranked down manually, and even without asking, you would say to him, “Fill ‘er up with regular.” 

     Dutifully, he would search for the gas cover….on our car, an Oldsmobile, it was under the rear license plate…extract the handle from the pump, stick it in the gas tank opening, lock it to keep flowing, and then he would leave.  Wrong!  No, he had just begun.  After asking you to pop your hood, he would proceed to check your oil level and any other level that could be checked.  If asked he would check your antifreeze level, and check the pressure on your tires.  And then, when all of that was done, he would pull a bottle of window cleaner from the stand next to the pumps and wash all of your windows.  Spraying them and wiping them off with a squeegee.  When all was done, he would hand you a bill, produced from a carbon paper device.  You’d pay the bill.  He would say, “Thank you.”  And with your car all checked over, gas tank filled, and windows clean….off you would drive.  Ah….the good ole’ days.

     Truthfully, the good ole’ days were not purely good, were they?  Every good ole’ day was also full of plenty that was not so good, and good to get away from.

     For Christians of my ilk, Lutherans, the remembrance of the good ole’ days is a sometimes spoken recall.  The days when churches were filled to the brim and people would come a half hour early to worship to get a good seat.  When choirs filled choir lofts, and Sunday Schools  were ant hills of kids.  When people entered the sanctuary in solemn reverence, and the church budget was always met with ease.

     Of course, the glow of those days is not all rosy.  The pews may have been full, but many often left worship spiritually empty.  The Sunday Schools full of children made it easy to forget those children who did not come.   People would coldly sit next to each other in church as if they were there alone.  Offerings were given as required dues.   And maybe most significantly, issues of complex reality were often treated with deep lines drawn in the sand.

     There are some things about the good ole’ days that I, as a pastor, would welcome back, but there are also things that I am glad to have left back in those days.  We don’t live in the good ole’ days.  We live in the today, and it aint all bad.  I am glad that going to church takes more intentionality, intention has a way of opening the spiritual gas tank to be filled up.  I am glad people take note of those around them and experience the care of a Christ-filled handshake and ask with honest depth, “How ya’ doing?”  I am glad that communion is graciously offered rather than sparingly given.  I am glad that offerings are gifts of thanks and non-givers are seen as people to care about rather than shun as someone  who is not carrying their load.  I am glad that the church has come to see that the world is, figuratively, not as round as we thought it was.   I am glad that that lines in the sand have been eroded by graceful waters, and I am glad that when someone comes to me in pain, I don’t have to judge them first, but can embrace them with care.  I am glad that those who struggle with belief are taken seriously rather than written off as “the lost”.

     If you are not coming to church because you think that the church lives in the good ole days….well, in the case of some churches you may be right.  But the church that I am part of, and many of which I know, seeks to be the place where God encounters us in these days.  Every church falls short of its hope to live out its identity as the body of Christ, but with the Spirit’s ever blowing wind of grace, the evidence of Christ’s love for you….for today…..is there.  I invite you to come and see.

     Ah….thank God for God’s grace in these days!

Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment