Monday, July 20, 2020

The Bungee Cord 7-20-20

Hello,

Time for a little humor….a very little humor.  If you have ever lived in the upper-Midwest (Minnesota, South Dakota, North Dakota, and Wisconsin) than you have probably heard more than your share of “Ole and Lena” jokes.  These are jokes that Scandinavians tell, laughing at themselves and their idiosyncrasies.  Of course, when you tell them you need to tell them with your best Scandinavian accent…. So it’s …. OOOOOOOlee and Leeeeeena…..and you have to throw Sven in there, too (tuuuu).

So….starting off with a bit off color joke….

One day Sven was sitting on the porch of the sheriff’s office, and all of the sudden he looks and he see Lena running into town, and she’s got no clothes (“cloooose”) on. Well, don’t you know, Sven jumps from his chair and runs over to Lena and he says, he says to her, “Lena, you gots no cloooose on.”

Vell, Lena looks over at Sven and she says, she says to him, “Vell Sven, you know Me and Ole, ve vent up to the lake, and ve vas doing some smooching, and Ole, Ole he says to me, “Hey Lena, let’s take off all of our cloooose and really go to town……and it looks like I beat him here!”

Lol….

If you made it through that one, here’s another one….

One day as Ole and Lena were sitting in their kitchen eating their breakfast and drinking their coffee, Lena breaks the silence and she says to Ole, “Ole, how come you don’t ever tell me that you love me?”

Vell….Ole….he sat there thinking to himself, and then he said, “Vell, don’t you remember that vhen ve got married, I told you that I love you?   Vell, I haven’t changed my mind yet.”

Lol….

Vell…unlike Ole, God tells us over and over again of his love for us.  In the waters of Baptism, God says, “I love you.”  In the promise of forgiveness, God says, “I love you.”  In the fellowship of Sunday morning, God says, “I love you.”  In the bread and wine of Holy Communion, God says, “I love you.”  In the prayers that tuck us in every night, God says, “I love you.” Ole may not think that Lena needs to hear that he hasn’t changed his mind, but God says it over and over to us again so that we might not ever wonder if God has changed his mind.”

“I love you,” God.

Have a great week,
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment