Monday, July 6, 2020

The Bungee Cord  7-6-20
Hello,
This was my sermon on Sunday….thought it might be good to share it with you, too.  Read the sermon, and then play the video….and be hugged by God.
 ‘Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.’ (Matthew 11:28-30)
·      I don’t know about you, but I am weary.  
·      I am weary of being hunted by this virus, 
·     a hunt that has caused me to go into hiding, 
·     a hunt that has caused me to be constantly vigilant and careful, 
·     a hunt that has caused me to refrain from things that previously had brought much joy to my life, 
·     a hunt that has caused me to be on the look out wherever I go and concern myself with details 
….I am weary.  
·     And my weariness has had a way of sapping joy out of my life.  
·     It has had a way of making me more edgy and less patient.  
·     It has had a way of wearing me down
….and the hard part of all of this is that I think that we have a long way to go before this covid thing is under wraps.  I am weary.
And so when I hear Jesus say this morning, “Come unto me, all you that are weary and carrying heavy burdens,”  I hear that invitation being spoken directly to me.  “Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Notice when Jesus gives you and me this invitation, he does not offer to take all the wearying things away.  
·     No, what Jesus offers is to be the place of peace and rest.  
·     A place of gentle care in a world that is harsh and cruel.  
·     A place where he will enfold us in his shielding love, and we can take refuge under his wings.  
·     A divine lap to sit upon….to sit upon and be loved.
I think that most of you know that I deal with depression, and when depression hits life is hard.  Depression, like covid, is a constant hunter, and it, like covid, can just wear you out. It makes one weary.  And when depression hovers near and I am worn out, I have found that there is something – besides good counselling and medicine – that really helps out… and that thing is a 20 second hug from my wife.  
·     Embraced.  
·     Enfolded. 
·     Encompassed in the arms of one who loves me.
 It gives me a 20 second break from the hunter.  
·     It allows me to catch my breath. 
·     It refreshes my soul so as to give me strength to take the next step.  
“Come to me,” says Jesus, “ and let me give you a hug.”
“Come to me, all you that are weary and carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Here….in these next few seconds and minutes….feel the hug of the Lord.   
(Play the video)
“Come you laden with burdens…..”
Have a great day.
God’s grace and peace,(ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

(Unfortunately, I can't post the video here...but you can access it by going to my Facebook page, Jerry Nuernberger)

No comments:

Post a Comment