Monday, November 6, 2023

The Bungee Cord 11-6-23
Hello,
I don’t know why, but for centuries, November 1st has been observed as “All Saints Day”. I know that various Christian traditions hold different definitions for “saint”, but in my tradition, a saint is someone upon whom Jesus looks as sinless. That doesn’t mean that saints don’t sin, but what it means is that no matter the grime that one smears on one’s life, those who have “washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb” (Revelation 14) are viewed by Christ through cross-forgiven eyes. As a matter of fact, my tradition has a phrase describing Christians in this life: “Simul justus et peccator”. That’s Latin for “simultaneously saint and sinner”. (Latin always makes things sound more important…lol.). Of course, the day will come, when the final trumpet will sound and we are gathered around the heavenly throne and the sinner in us will no longer have breath, our songs will only be the songs of saints. That is the promise God has given us in Scripture.
Likewise, different Christian traditions have different understandings of when that label “Christian” or “child of God” becomes ours. In my tradition, it happens at Baptism. The water isn’t special water, and it isn’t “magical water”. It is just plain water, and as water that has been drawn from the church kitchen tap splashes upon a person, the life changing promise of eternal forgiveness is likewise splashed upon that one. “I baptize you in the name of the Father, in the name of the Son, and in the name of the Holy Spirit.” Sealed with the Holy Spirit and marked with the cross of Christ, forever. Personally, it is in this Christening that I live out my life and faith, thereby my “focus” verse, “See what love the Father has given us, that we should be called Children of God; and that is what we are.” (1 John 3:1). I am a saint.
I tell you this because some years ago I wrote a song, “Baptismal Lullaby”. I wrote it for the celebration of the Baptism of Jesus, but just as Jesus’ baptism made it clear as to what Jesus’ relationship was to the heavenly Father, so, too does each of our Baptisms (I believe in all traditions) make it clear as to our relationship with the heavenly Father. So, on this All Saints week, a week in which you and I are included, give a listen to this song, and as you hear it see yourself resting safely and lovingly in the arms of God. (song copyright Jerry Nuernberger 2002)   Go to this link to hear the song:  https://www.facebook.com/jerry.nuernberger.3
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment