Monday, March 5, 2012

Bungee Cord  3-5-12


Hello,
   There is a commercial on TV, and maybe you have seen it, where a couple of people have the latest and fastest internet delivery, 4G.  Their friends and coworkers are still locked into slower internet carriers, and they, of course receive “necessary” information later than their 4G friends.  “That is so 29 seconds ago,” they are told by their more speedily informed friends who have already bought presents in response to a birth announcement and dealt with overseas customers.
      I have to admit as one who grew up the days of snail mail, that I am thankful for the speed of reply that has come with e-mail and text messaging.  And I have to admit as one who grew up in the era of one phone for 40 college students, I am grateful for the cell phone which connects me to my kids even when they are not home.  I know that I get impatient when my computer is slowly loading a web-page at a speed that is far faster than it would have loaded just 10 years ago.  I have to admit that there is part of this fast paced world in which we live for which I am highly thankful.
     But  there are times when the speed of information accumulation seems like a winter blizzard, coming at me faster than I can shovel my way through, and piling up in mounds that I cannot see over.  There are times when the electronic requests come so fast and from so many directions that I get dizzy being spun in circles and exhausted trying to keep up with their pace.  And there are times when the notes and texts, although timely, just don’t fill the hole in my heart the way a hug, a smile, or a tear does.
     Well, for those times when we yearn for a quick and unrestricted connection to God, God’s response is, “Ok.  I can do that.”  When suffering hits and 29 seconds seems like 29 years, God says, “Call on me anytime, and I will hear your prayer.”  When we have fallen into a deep hole, even a hole of our own making, God says, “There is no place where my love and forgiveness won’t reach you.”  And when it seems like no one cares about you, God answered that wondering a long time ago when he enveloped you in his eternal care in the waters of Baptism.  Even the response time by the earthly  4G network is slug-like compared to the range and speed of the divine 4G (For God) network.
     And for those times when speed and range fall short of what we need, God is able, and in fact he does, deliver.  When our strength is overwhelmed by the blizzard of life, God delivers an army of people, the church, to give their strength to ours to slug our way through the mountainous drifts.  When life has you spinning as if you had been flushed down a toilet, God opens the doors of his church, often called the Sanctuary, and says, “Be still and know that I am God.”  And when the word of God doesn’t hit our hearts with convincing power, God gives us a hug deeper than humanly possible when he says, “Take and eat, this is my body….and Take and drink, this is my blood.”
     The wonder of our God is that he can keep up with the speed of this world to reach us….after all, he set it in motion…and he can slow this world down when we need it….after all, he set it in motion.
     Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace,
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment