Monday, March 12, 2012

Bungee Cord 3-12-12


Hello,
     My wife and I bought a brand new gas stove and had it installed in our house.  When we turned it on, we were quick to surmise that something was wrong.  Eight inch flames were shooting out of the burners…a bit more heat than we would need to boil water!  So, I called the place from which we bought it and was told it would be best for me to call the manufacturer….ah….”hold on” the salesman said, I’ll get the installer to come up and look at it and see if he can adjust it.”  True to his word, the installer showed up and took to adjusting our stove, albeit unsuccessfully.  “You’ll have to call the manufacturers and have their service people come out and adjust it.”
     So, I did.  After passing through a maze of machine spoken options, I finally made my way to the phone of a very polite woman.  I explained my situation to her, and she said, “Sir, I can send out our technicians, but I have to tell you that they do not deal with installation problems.  If they determine it has not been installed correctly they will not do anything, but they will bill you for the service call.”
     I interrupted her to say, “But that is the problem.  The installers tried to fix it and were unable.”
     “I am sorry sir,” she said, “but our technicians do not deal with installation problems?”
     After a series of going back and forth, me trying to more clearly say what I thought was already clear – that my installers were unable to get the stove to work right – and she, also trying to explain to me what was already in her mind clearly said – that her technicians did not deal with installation problems… I said to her, “seems like a big run around to me, who is going to fix my stove?”  “The installers,” she said.  “But….they can’t.  Who is going to fix my stove?”  “The installers will have to find someone to install it correctly.” 
     So, with my patience coming to an end, and my stove still unworking with no one in sight to fix it, I called the store from which we purchased it, told them of my encounter with the manufacturer, and said, “I’m putting this in your court.”
     “I’ll take care of it,” he said.
     I hope so.
     Here’s some good news, though: if you call on Jesus, he doesn’t care what your problem is….he will come and attend to it.  Jesus doesn’t care if  something that is tearing you apart feels like an installation problem – an addiction, a weakness, a hatred.  Jesus doesn’t care if the fire that is burning you up is a fire that you have foolishly stepped into – a lie, a failure, a broken promise.  Jesus doesn’t care if  you are tormented by the world around you: uncaring bosses, neverending expectations,  eyes of judgment and condemnation.  If you call on Jesus, he will attend to your problem.  No matter what.  You don’t have to get yourself fixed enough…good enough…right enough.  If you call on Jesus, he will attend to you…no matter what.
     That goes for coming to church, too.  The church isn’t for people who are “installed right”, “working good enough”, or even trying hard to work right.  So, if there’s an empty hole in your life.  If things just aren’t working right between you and God.  If you find that you tend to blunder your way through life, hurting the people you love the most….if you are like a stove that is bursting eight inch flames from your burner, there’s a place that you won’t find yourself in a big run around.  It is at church where Jesus promises to attend to all those who call upon them….just as they are….and make things right. 
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace,
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment