Sunday, March 25, 2012

Bungee Cord 3-25-12


Hello,
     I was driving into the parking lot of one of those large lumber/hardware stores, and as I turned off of the street my eyes spotted a young man, a teenager, standing on the corner looking as if this was the last place that he wanted to be.  He, along with his mother, was selling sub-sandwiches for his high school band.  His lack of exuberance may have been that it was sprinking; or it may have been that he was standing next to his mother (how uncool!); or it maybe it was his parent’s idea for him to be in the band…but my guess is that the reason for his discontent was that it was a Saturday and the time was 8:30 a.m.  I am not sure how many sub-sandwiches he sold.  He certainly didn’t sell any sandwiches by virtue of his enthusiasm.  Maybe he sold some sandwiches out of the pity that people felt for his deflated spirit.
     I’ve seen the same look on others before, too.  I have seen that same look on the faces of young and old alike as I stand in the pulpit and look out on the congregation.  Just like that sub-sandwich selling band member, I don’t know for sure what creates such disdain in their spirit as they stand in church.  Who knows?  Maybe they are being forced by parents to be in church.  Maybe it is that they are standing next to parents or strange people.  Maybe it is because on a scale of 1-10, the boredom rating they would give of church is sub-sero.  Maybe it is that they think that this whole Christian thing is a bunch of hooey.  Or maybe because it is Sunday morning.
     I remember feeling that flat affect as I stood in church in my teen years – feeling like that was the last place in the world that I wanted to be, a feeling generated by many of the reasons I imagine filling the “living dead” that I see from the pulpit.  I had a hard time understanding the verse from the Bible, “I was glad when they said unto me, ‘Let us go into the house of the LORD.’”
     Believe it or not, even pastors find themselves feeling like being in church on Sunday morning is the last place that they want to be;  at least this pastor has felt that way.  Not all the time, but there have been times.  Even pastors deal with the same thing that non-pastors do: the ridicule of the world for the faith that we hold, the questions and doubts that haunt, the torrid pace of life that would welcome rest, the draw of sporting events, the freedom from obligation. 
     So, why do I go to church, every Sunday.  The answer is not because I am a pastor and I have to be there (although that is true).  The reason is this: God has invited me to his house because he wants to spend some personal time with me.  God has invited me even if I am full of doubts and questions.  God has invited me even if I think I am better than everyone else in the building.  God has invited me even if I think spending time with him is boring.  God has invited me even if there is some great sporting event going on.  God has invited me even if I am tired and worn out.  God has invited me even if I would relish a respite from obligation and commitment.  God has invited me even if I am mad or furious with God.  There are smaller reasons that I go to church every Sunday, but the main reason is this:  God has invited me to his house because he wants to spend some personal time with me.
     God want me  to spend time with him, free from the noise and commotion of the world, so that God can speak his forgiveness, saying to me, “The world may always remember and measure you for your errors, blunders and sins…but I will not….I will remember and measure you for who you are….the one who bears my name, my child.  The world may shine a light on you when you are a success…but I will not…my light always shines on you because you are the apple of my eye.  The world may tell you that how much you believe in me is the most important thing….but I will not…how much I believe in you is far more important.   God wants to tell me and show me that there is nothing in all of creation that can separate me from his love in Christ Jesus.”  Free from the noise of the world, God invites me to his house because God wants to spend some personal time with me.
    And so I go to church….every Sunday….whether I was a pastor or not.  Sometimes when I leave church my spirits are lifted….sometimes they are not drastically changed.  Sometimes when I leave church, the sermon has moved me  in a new direction(I don’t only preach to the people in the pew…I preach to me, too.)…and sometimes the sermon wraps me in what I have already heard.  Sometimes when I leave church I say, “I was glad to have been there, today.”….and sometimes I say, “Same old, same old.”  But every time I leave church, I leave with these words, words that have permeated the time that I have spent in church, “The LORD bless you and keep you. The LORD make his face to shine upon you.  The LORD look upon you with favor and give you his peace.”
     God invites me…and you…to his house every Sunday morning because he wants to spend personal time with you and me….and when we leave, God blesses us and says, “Thanks…thanks for coming.”
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace,
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment