Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Bungee Cord
7-23-12


Hello,
     It has been my practice for the last 15 or more years to stand outside, weather permitting, before the worship services and greet people.  So, when I got back in the saddle again at First Lutheran in Greensburg, I took to the streets of Greensburg at 7:45 and 9:45.  First Lutheran is in downtown Greensburg, located on the corner, across the street from First Presbyterian, and within a block of a number of other churches.  When I stand outside on Sunday morning there’s quite a bit of traffic that drives by, and to those with whom I make eye contact I give a friendly wave or a nod of my head.  Sometimes they return my greeting, and sometimes they ride by as if I was one of those guys dressed like the Statue of Liberty waving at people in front of Liberty Tax preparers.
     One Sunday five high school boys carrying their skateboards came my way.  “You should be riding those things and not carrying them,” I, whose robe and stole was far removed from what they wearing, said to them.
     “Can’t,” they said, “its illegal to ride them on the sidewalks downtown.  On our way to a parking lot.”
     “Oh,” I said, “Just don’t crack your heads open.”
     “We won’t,” they replied, mirroring the smirk on my face..
     Joggers sometimes run by me, and we exchange a few words of joke between their gasps for air.
     Some people who are walking see me from afar and cross over to the other side of the street, or if they are already there, they make sure to stay there.  But even if they are across the street from me, if we happen to catch each other’s glance, I wave.
     This past Sunday, a man who I didn’t recognize came walking down my side of the street.  As he neared me, I said to him, “Good morning.  Great to see you today,” expecting that he would abruptly make a right turn and go up our stairs.  But he did not.  Instead he walked by First Lutheran, and strolled his way into First Presbyterian.  I wonder what he thought of my greeting, but this I know; a Lutheran and a Presbyterian shook hands on Sunday morning, and neither of us died!
     I don’t know what my waves, smiles, handshakes and brief conversations will bring about.  I put that in God’s hands.  Maybe one of those people who drive by will remember they received a smile when their lives are falling apart and will follow that smile to First Lutheran.  Maybe they haven’t been to their church for a long time, and my wave will be just what they need to remind them of the welcome that awaits them at their spiritual home.  Maybe those skateboarders will see Christianity as something that will take them where they are, rather than lay down a bunch of rules and laws like the city does.  Maybe the folks from First Lutheran came to church wondering if anyone would care that they are there, and they found out someone did!  Maybe that Presbyterian might think differently of his Lutheran neighbors and when something bigger than either of churches could handle alone comes along, he’ll say, “Those Lutherans might work with us!”
     Who knows what your kindness and friendliness will bring about, but when our kindness and friendliness are put in the hands of God the possibilities are beyond our wildest dreams.
     As I write my Bungee Cord each week, I don’t know what it will bring about in the lives of those who read it.  But I trust God… I trust God that with every wave, every smile and every word that I write, God’s Spirit will work wonders far greater than my wildest dreams could ever imagine.
Have a great week!
God’s grace and peace,
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment