Monday, July 30, 2012

Bungee Cord 7-29-12


Hello,
     It was 88 degrees today in the Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania, but it didn’t feel like it.  The humidity was unusually low.  So, with the sky dotted with a few puffy cottonballs what else should a guy do on his day off than go outside and tackle the pile of downed trees that were the result of the sand mound septic system that we had to build (that, is another story!).
     My wife and I have been working away at the sequoia sized stack of trees for quite a while; tugging, sawing, and stacking.  This, we hoped, would be our final stab at this pile of trees.  We started around 10:00 in the morning digging through dirt buried limbs to reach the larger logs and stumps.  Sometimes the stumps were small enough to be leverage by hand and rolled out of the way, but most of the time they required being secured by our well worn rope and pulled out of the pile by our tractor.  Maybe in my prime I would not say that it was hard work, but needless to say, I am not in my prime any more.  The time passed quickly as Kate and I whittled away at the pile, but the pile wasn’t the only thing that was whittling away….my strength was being whittled away.  So, after four hours of work as I was bending over to lift some logs that I had cut into the bucket of the tractor, I suddenly felt my legs turn rubbery and my head heliumy (if rubber can be made into an adjective…why not helium?).  Finding a log, I sat down and watched Kate finish loading the logs into the bucket (no comments from the peanut gallery!).
     “I’m beat,” I said to her.
     “Go sit in the shade,” Kate said to me.  I wobbled my way over to a spot under a tree, put my head between my knees, took some deep breathes, and I began to begin to feel a bit of recovery.
     There have been days this summer that the heat of the day was oppressive, I found myself wilting, and I called it quits before my limbs went rubber.  But today I was caught off guard.  The humid-less heat was sneaky.  Thankfully, there was shade nearby.
     Not every day is wiltingly hot.  I don’t mean temperature-wise.  I mean pressure-wise, stress-wise, failure-wise, guilt-wise, lost and confused-wise.  But whether you are striding to the prime of your life, firmly afoot in the prime or life, or past-prime the heat of life has the power to bring us all to our knees.
     So, when you find yourself looking for shade – calmly looking because you could feel the heat working on you, or urgently looking because the heat has snuck up on you – let me point you to some shade.  Christ’s church.  When the Church is what it is meant to be….and sometimes it falls short…..but, when it is what it is meant to be, it is a place of shade from the heat of the world.  A place where we can rest our heads in prayer and gather strength.  A place where we can fill our lungs with the breath of the Spirit and draw upon power of God.  A place where our sins, our guilt, our failures, and our broken dreams are shattered by the forgiveness of Jesus’ body and blood.
     The world, of course, can also be very cold, but that is another Bungee Cord.  Today, when the heat tried to get the best of me, let me welcome you to come and take a place in the shade this Sunday.
Jesus also said, ‘With what can we compare the kingdom of God, or what parable will we use for it? It is like a mustard seed, which, when sown upon the ground, is the smallest of all the seeds on earth; yet when it is sown it grows up and becomes the greatest of all shrubs, and puts forth large branches, so that the birds of the air can make nests in its shade.’  Mark 4:3-32.
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (Ggap),
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment