Monday, October 7, 2013

Bungee Cord 10-7-13


Hello,
     For the last week there has been a four story yellow rubber ducky floating in the river alongside the Pittsburgh skyline.  It is not an oversized practical joke.  It is “art”.  I was listening to the public radio station out of Pittsburgh the day the ducky was to paddle in Pittsburgh’s river, and they were interviewing the “artist”.  He is from a Scandinavian country, and his duckies have been landing alongside skylines throughout the world.  Pittsburgh has the distinction of being the first plopping place in the United States for this piece of artwork.  The artist in telling the artistic meaning of this towering ducky said that he believes that the rubber ducky is an international symbol of the joy of life.  “Remember the bath times you had as a child,” he said, “and how much fun it was to share your tub time with a rubber duck.”  All around the world, he said, the same thing happens.  Children sit in their bathtubs, playing with their rubber ducky, and the burdens of life get lost in the bubbles and splashes.
     I can resonate with this “artist”, because as I sit in my hot tub, I am always joined by two rubber duckies that my son gave to me as a hot tub present.  As I sit in my hot tub I watch them spin around, dancing atop the whirling water.   They “swim” wherever the jets propel them, and they don’t care where their dance takes place.  To watch them is enlightening.  It is a visual reminder of the wonderful gift of life, a gift that can be overshadowed by responsibilities, job and bosses, life’s daily struggle, and tragedy.  So, between gazing at the stars or the sunset, I splash my rubber duckies trying to steer them.  I take them under the water and wonder where they will surface.  I turn them right side up when they are swimming up side down.  And when I do these things a childhood delight sinks into my soul, and in some small way I become aware of the wonder and blessing of life…the wonder and blessing that daily comes my way that often I am not able to see…..the wonder and blessing of every breath of which not even one do I deserve… “Rubber ducky, you’re the one.  You make tubby time so much fun…”
     But there are times, real times, when a rubber ducky floating in your life falls short of addressing the pain and suffering in one’s heart, and the burden that one carries on their shoulders.  Throwing a rubber duck into your tub at those times of life works as well as saying, “Oh, it will all be okay.” or “Don’t worry.  Be happy.”  A rubber ducky might be able to cut through the gloom of daily life, but when life crumbles the power of a rubber ducky evaporates and it becomes what it really is…a bunch of rubber.
     It is at times like this that my eyes catch another symbol that often is set four or more stories high – a cross – not just any cross, of course, but the cross of Christ.  The sight of the cross takes me back to a Golgotha hill on which Jesus suffered and died, taking with him to death every thing that tries to push us through the shredder of life: our failures, our blunders, our shortcomings, our evil deeds, and  the judgment of others.  It fills my ears with a yell that spans all time and space, “It is finished.”  It sends me back to a baptismal font when Jesus staked his claim on me when I was “sealed by the Holy Spirit and marked with the cross of Christ forever.”  It clears out the junk of my life and I see the banner that Jesus has strung across my life, “I have called you by name.  You are mine.”
     A rubber ducky may be a universal symbol of joy.  The cross is a universal symbol of hope….hope that springs eternal from a Golgotha hill and an Easter garden tomb… “Lift high the cross.  The love of Christ proclaim!”
     Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace,
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment