Monday, October 28, 2013

The Bungee Cord  10-28-13


Hello,
     Saturday night as I was getting ready for bed, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror, and I noticed a small black dot resting on the side of my Adam’s apple.  I tried to flick it off, but it didn’t budge.  I gave it a couple of good scratches, and still it did not move.  I leaned closer to the mirror, and under closer examination, it looked as though it might be a lone black hair in my otherwise gray stubble beard.  But it didn’t feel like a hair.  Too crunchy.  Little hair like follicles seemed to be emanating from it….and that is when I realized that it was a tick.  It had buried its head into my skin, and what I was seeing was it’s body and legs protruding out.  Apparently it had not been there long, as it was still quite small, and it didn’t take much of a yank to pull it out.  I think I got it just moments before when I put my head on my dog, Duncan, using him as a pillow.
     They say that the ticks are going to be bad this fall, so I wasn’t surprised to find one embedding itself on my neck.  Ticks, as you know, live by sucking the blood from their unsuspecting host, ala Dracula of legendary vampire fame.  This particular tick that hoped to feast on my blood seemed to have been emulating the legendary Count by virtue of its choice of blood-drawing location.  Maybe the tick was engaging in an early Halloween stunt.
     As I said, once I realized what I was dealing with, it didn’t take much effort to free myself from this blood drawing tick, and in plenty of time before it could do me much damage.  Unfortunately, this tiny tick is not the only pest that seeks to live by sucking my blood, and thereby my life, from me.  Far more hungry and damaging are the things that I have done that have brought pain to me and others, the pressures of work and life that clamp down on me daily, the failings and failures that won’t let go of me.  Unlike that little tick seeking my blood, these things that seek my life-blood can dig themselves so deeply into me that they attach themselves to my heart with vice-like fangs, drawing the life right out of me.
     But Sunday morning an amazing thing happened.  I walked into church, as I do every Sunday morning, and someone saw the trouble I was facing.  Someone saw the blood sucking, life sucking parasites that had leeched onto my life.  Someone saw the waning strength, the darkening hope, and my labored steps.  And that someone said to me, “Take and drink.  This is my blood shed for you.”, and as I found myself kneeling at the altar, drinking in a sip of wine carrying the promised presence of Christ’s blood, something new took a hold of me and my heart: a transfusion of God grace and mercy.  In a world that had sought to bring me to my knees by sucking the life-blood right out of me, I found myself being lifted from my knees by one who gave his life for me.  Carrying a poison of divine forgiveness, this transfusion of Christ’s blood brought a deathblow to all those parasites that had come to the altar clinging to my heart, and a shot in the arm of courage and strength.
     Forecasters seem to be right.  This is going to be a severe tick season….little black ones and big invisible ones.  But thank God, there is one whose eyes sees those ticks, and when he, Jesus, sees them they don’t stand a chance, and we stand with more than a chance….we stand with the power and life of his blood.
     Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment