Monday, November 4, 2013

Bungee Cord 11-4-13


Hello,
     Oskeewowow!
     For those of you who do not follow college athletics, this odd word is the battle cry for the Fighting Illini of the University of Illinois.  I spent the first two years of my college career at the University of Illinois, and although I transferred out as a junior for career reasons, my heart stayed at the University of Illinois and with the friends that I had while I was there.  Even to this day….more years later than it seems….my U of I friends are still amongst my best friends even though I don’t see them very often.
     This weekend, thanks to the generosity of my brother-in-law who got some tickets, two of my Illinois friends came to my house to go to the Penn State/U of I game with Kate and me. We rendez-voused  at my house, here in enemy territory, on Friday night, laughed and joked with each other as if no time had passed since we had last been together, played ping-pong in my Illini Man Cave, and prepared ourselves to represent our team at the game.
     We woke up with the sun on Saturday, pumped!  Expecting a clog of traffic on our way to State College, Pa., we donned our orange and blue and left at 8:00 for the noon game.  The sun shone bright on the dimmed, but still beautiful colored ridges on our drive.  The drive didn’t seem like the 2 hours that Google had predicted for us as the four of us chatted all the way there like a bunch of squirrels gathering nuts.  Although the crowds of blue did not part like the Red Sea for us as we made our way onto the parking grounds, the trek to our parking space was not as arduous as we had planned.  Surprisingly enough, when we emerged from our car, the natives wearing blue and white greeted us with warmth and welcome.  And when we took our seats in the stands and the tide of blue began to rise all around us, we remained unscathed among the enemy.  There weren’t many wearing orange and blue at the game, but we did our best to cheer for our team when it made first downs, tackles and even a couple of touchdowns.  It was amazing the quiet that fell upon that stadium of 100,000+ when the Illini did something good, and somehow we hoped that our three voices filled the stillness of those moments.  We sang “Oskeewowow Illinois” when we scored, we groaned when our team fell apart (which it did far too often), we “questioned” the ref’s calls….we had a great time….a time just like we had years ago when we sat side by side in “Block I” in Memorial Stadium at the University of Illinois.
     Friends are a wonderful gift from God, often a gift from God that seems not to be effected by the passing of time, the paths life takes us on, or the bumps and bruises that we all gather along our separate ways.  I thank God for the blessing of friends.
     To spend time with dear friends magnifies, to me, the wonder of the blessing of the friendship that God has made with me in Jesus.  It magnifies the joy of joining our voices with Jesus, our friend,  in singing “Alleluia”.  It magnifies the hope in my heart when in my prayers I bring my successes and failures to Jesus’ ears, and sense the cheers and groans that we share.  It magnifies the despair that we, my friend Jesus and I, share at the injustice that goes uncalled, and the determination to make sure that it does not go un-noticed.   “What a friend we have in Jesus…..”, may not have the rousing tune of a college fight song, but it sure rings true to the depth and wonder of the friendship with Jesus that knows no passing of time, that remains no matter what path life takes, and doesn’t disappear when we become scarred by the battles that our sins stir up.
     Spending this past weekend with dear and long-time friends was wonderful!  And it opened my eyes again to the wonder and blessing of spending every moment of this life….and every moment of eternity….with one whose friendship is the greatest of all.
     By the way…..we lost the game….in overtime.  Ugh!
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment