Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Bungee Cord 10-23-13


Hello,
     There are many beautiful places in this world, but among the most beautiful are the hills of Western Pennsylvania in the fall.  It is here where the green hills of summer are slowly and softly donned with a quilt patched with every shade of red, orange, gold, and brown.  Stitched to the roads, when one drives along these patches the leaves flutter to the ground like goose down from a pillow.  The sun sinks lower in the south softening the pinks and the oranges of the sunset.  The coats of the deer darken to match the drying golden rod and grasses, and the geese clear the clouds out of their way with their honking.  It is beautiful.
     But the gusting wind that snaps at your skin with a biting chill is a stark reminder that these days are soon to be taken from us.  The leaves will all be gone from the trees, and the forests will look like lifeless sticks.  The sky will darken earlier, and the sun will hide in the southern skies and the cold will rush in.  Snow will soon blanket the hills, covering what was warm earthy colors with monochromatic white.  Even the animals will virtually disappear as they take cover from the harsh conditions ahead.  There is a beauty to the hills of Western Pennsylvania in the winter, but it is not a warm and welcoming beauty.  It is a chilling and stark beauty.
     It is at this cusp of seasonal change that I am reminded of an important tenant of life and faith, and that is: enjoy the beauty while it is here.  So often I find myself anticipating the future, which in some cases surely will come with the coldness of winter, and in so doing, I rob myself of the joy of the beauty that is all around me…the beauty of the people in my life with which God has blessed me….the beauty of the peace that comes with a quiet and warm star-filled night….the beauty of my health that still propels me up steep hills as I walk my dog…the beauty of the place I work that gives me a chance to impact people’s lives with God’s love (remember, that is the Christian view of every occupation)…there is beauty all around me!
     Beauty, it seems to me, is a gift from God to be taken in and slowly savored.  It is at these times of great beauty that I get a glimpse of the wonder and grace of God, wonder and grace that the cold world tries to hide from my eyes.  And if I have savored the beauty of the wonder and grace of God, I find that the taste of that beauty lingers….lingers into the cold and harsh seasons of life…carrying the reminder of the wonder of grace that is still with me though the winds blow harsh.  It is this lingering taste of beauty that transforms the ugliness of a man, Jesus, hanging on a Calvary cross, turning that ice cold day into a day that we have named “Good Friday”.  And with lingering beauty that sticks to our bones, the clammy, musty, flesh-rotting stench of every grave is overpowered by the marching of Jesus feet on a day that we have named Easter.
     Surrounded by nearly unparelelled beauty, I am reminded to soak it in while it is here…..and reminded that when the cold weather hits, there is one who will be there …still warming me with the wonder and awe of his love and mercy….and that, too, is beautiful.
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger


No comments:

Post a Comment