Monday, February 1, 2016

Bungee Cord 2-1-16

Hello,
     Today I heard something that I know wasn’t meant to say what I heard, but when I heard it, I thought, “That’s not right.”
     I was travelling over Chestnut Ridge on my way to work this morning listening to National Public Radio catching up on the news.  One of the news stories was about this virus that is “exploding” in South America that may be linked to babies being born with too small a skull.  As you may know, the governments in the affected areas are advising women not to get pregnant for a while, saying, “No one wants a disabled child.”
     That was it, “No one wants a disabled child.”  That just didn’t sound right in my ears.  I wonder how that was heard by the millions and millions of parents who have a disabled child.  Would they say that they “don’t want” their disabled child?  I know that disabled children and their difficulties can add stress and strain to life, but I also know that disabled children can certainly open a parent’s heart in ways that cannot be measured.
      I suspect that those government officials really meant, “Everyone wants a healthy child,” but maybe the words that they chose unveiled a painful truth that really brings more stress and strain to life, and that is that even healthy isn’t good enough….what people want is a perfect child….which translates into the pressure that the world puts on us, that we need to be perfect.
     There’s an undercurrent of thought that bleeds into our thinking that says if people are perfect, life is smoother.  I know that I feel that undercurrent tugging at me…tugging at me making me fear making a mistake, tugging at me entangling my relationships with stress and strain, tugging at me adding pressure and misdirection to my work.  As I look around, I see it taking root in children who have to go to sports camps in elementary school, undertake specialized tutoring to excentuate their giftedness, and only eat foods that lead to ideal bodies.  It is all done in the name of giving a person a competitive edge in our highly competitive world, but I believe that underneath it all is the message….”You need to be perfect.”
     Thing is, that is a goal that will never be reached.  No one will ever be perfect.  Every one of us will fall short.  Every one of us will mess up.  Every one of us will see in ourselves disablities.
     So, in this world that demands perfection, I am glad that there is a place that does not.  I am glad that there is a place that takes me as I am….that welcomes me with my shortcomings and frailties….that acknowledges that I will never be perfect….that doesn’t just tolerate me in my brokenness, but loves me in it….that doesn’t give up on me when I mess up, but embraces me.  I am glad for that place, and that place is the community of people who bear the name of Jesus Christ, Christians.
     I am glad that there is a place where the door will never be shut on me, no matter how wrecklessly I have messed things up.  I am glad that there is a place that doesn’t kick me in the teeth when I have fallen, but instead lifts me up.  I am glad that there is a place where I am not laughed at and ridiculed for my foolishness.  I am glad that there is a place that seeks to understand my struggles rather than simply think they know what my struggles are like. 
     I am glad that there is a place that is glad to have someone who is disabled…glad to love someone who is disabled…glad to embrace someone who is disabled….because that someone is me.  I am glad that there is a place that doesn’t expect people to be perfect, because I know that I will never be perfect.
     So, if you’re not perfect, know this….there is a place that doesn’t expect you to be….the community of Jesus Christ, the church.  Come and see what it is like to be in a place where “disabled” people are wanted, and through the likes of us “disabled” people, Jesus Christ does amazing things!
     Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)


Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment