Monday, February 15, 2016

Bungee Cord 2-15-16

Hello,
     Did you know that if a girl sees a yellow finch on Valentine’s Day that means that she will marry a rich man?
     On my way over the ridge on Sunday mornings I listen to a radio program on NPR called “Sunday Baroque”.  I find it a helpful way to get myself in a worshipful mindset.  Yesterday, as I was listening, the announcer introduces a piece of music by saying that in the Baroque period, it was said that if a girl saw a gold finch on Valentine’s day, that would mean that she would marry a rich man.  The piece that followed was an extension of that saying as it was a piece featuring a piccolo imitating the sound of a gold finch.  I can’t say that I have ever heard the chirping of a gold finch….or if I did I didn’t know the bird from which it came….but the as the piccolo tweeted its tune, I could imagine a gold finch sounding forth on a tree branch.
     So, I got to thinking…..when was the last time that I saw a gold finch in the winter?  As I think about it, I don’t think that I ever have.  I’ve seen plenty of them darting around in our fields when flowers and berries cover the ground, but when the snow blankets the fields covering all the potential eating fare, it seems as though there’s not a gold finch to be found.
     So, if it is true that if a girl spots a gold finch on Valentine’s day, a day in the middle of the winter, that she will marry a rich man, then it is also true that the likelihood of that happening is very remote if not completely nonexistent.
     Empty words of hope.
     When I listen to the voices of the world, I find myself hearing a lot of things that contain as about as much hope as seeing a gold finch in the winter.  “Vote for me and everything will be fixed.”  “Marry me and I will make your life complete.”  “Work here and you’ll never be sorry.”  “Eat this and your health will be secured.”  “Drive this and everyone will want you as a friend.”
     Truth is that much of what the world says does bring some hope…thing is, though, often it cannot deliver the hope that it promises or at least it can only deliver a limited hope.  Although we know this truth in our hearts, I think that it is still true that when the world doesn’t live up to the hope it promises, we find ourselves disappointed and let down.
     That is what the first Christians were told about the hopes they were hearing from the mouth of Jesus.  “He won’t deliver on his word.”  “Don’t trust in Jesus.  The only one you can trust in is yourself.” 
     To those words of the world the Apostle Paul wrote in Romans 10, “11The scripture says, ‘No one who believes in him will be put to shame.’ 12For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; the same Lord is Lord of all and is generous to all who call on him. 13For, ‘Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.’

     Upon what footing did Paul stake these words?  The answer: his encounter with Jesus.  Jesus had, for him, lived up to Jesus’ words.  When Paul’s life was heading for a dead end road, he saw his life opening up with life as he followed Jesus.  When the world came crushing down on him, he discovered that Jesus’ present grace was sufficient to keep from being crushed.  When he found himself  facing things that magnified his weaknesses, he likewise came face to face with the unyielding grip of God on his life.  Paul could say, “Everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved,” because he – he who names himself a “wretch” -  had called upon the name of the Lord, and the Lord had saved the likes of him.

     I find myself walking in Paul’s shoes.  Before I ever had a mouth to call upon the Lord, Jesus died for me.  Before I had a voice to call upon the Lord, Jesus named me as his.  Every time that I have messed up…be it a minor mess or a massive one…I hear the same words, “You are forgiven.”  Whenever I have worried and worn myself out trying to keep the roof from falling in, I have discovered that when it falls the embrace of Jesus has kept me from being crushed..  It is my encounter with Jesus that has shown me, as it showed Paul, that the world’s warnings were all wrong.
     Jesus hasn’t let me down.  I can count on him….more than I can count on myself.
     And so I do.  I count on Jesus to lead me through this day.  I count on Jesus to lead me through tomorrow.  And I count on Jesus to lead me through the last day of this life.
     That is why I, like the Apostle Paul, say, “Everyone (even the likes of me) who calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved.”
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment