Monday, November 28, 2016

Bungee Cord 11-28-16

Hello,
     I am now soaring in the Friendly Skies, coming back home from a Thanksgiving holiday with my adult kids in Colorado.  Two of my sons live out here, so the altitude is of less consequence for them, but for the rest of us low-landers the altitude is a force of nature to be dealt with.

     Denver sits at one mile above sea level, and at one mile I find myself breathing a bit more heavily than usual after I have taken a walk around the park.  We spent most of our time in Breckenridge, nearly two miles above sea level, where I discovered myself having to gather my breath after shoveling the 2 inches of light snow from the sidewalk.  (Although my fatigue may be related to my ever out of shape condition, I believe most of the blame goes to the thin air.)  One day we drove up further into the mountains, Vail, to take the gondola to the top of the mountain, 11,570.  The views were spectacular there, but the air was thinner yet.  The three short flights of stairs to the restaurant had us all huffing and puffing.  A little oxygen treatment would have been a welcome friend.

     Often when I write the Bungee Cord I speak of the crushing power of life when we have failed, or messed things up, and when that happens we can all take comfort in the strength of God to lift us up.  But what about those times when we find ourselves on mountain tops, when we have had a great success, or when life is going really well?  When the vistas are full of soaring hopes.  Above the tree line that blocks the views.  But also, where the air is thin?

     I know that I find it to be true that the air is thinner when I am on a mountaintop.  The air that I draw in is often times less full of the awareness of the struggles of others and I take my blessings for granted.  On the mountaintop my lungs have less space for humility as the pride of my accomplishment takes up a lot of room in them.  The air has far less molecules of mutuality in it on the mountaintop as I stand above others, alone at the top.

     There are people who have told me that they don’t feel a need to go to church because their life is going just fine.  Maybe if and when they confront troubles and confusion, they would come to church.  But they tell me that they don’t see the need to go to church when they find themselves on a mountaintop, taking in great and wonderful vistas.

     Well, when and if you are on a mountain top in life and you wonder what the need for Christ or church is in your life, let me offer this challenge.  Take a deep breath.  Take a deep breath and see how thin the air is on the mountaintop.  See if you don’t find yourself panting from your daily walk.  See if you don’t find yourself trying to catch your breath to deal with just the simple things that get in the way, like two inches of soft snow.  See if you don’t find yourself huffing and puffing when you come upon flights of stairs.  See if you don’t find yourself saying that on oxygen treatment would be a welcomed friend.

     If you do, and I think you will, because I do, there’s an oxygen treatment to take in: church/worship.  In the tank of the church filled with the presence of Christ, the air if rich and full…full of gratitude and thanks, full of humility and care, full of community and forgiveness.  Church/worship is an oxygen treatment that brings strength to tired muscles.  It pumps compassion and care into our veins.  It awakens us from the drowsiness caused by thin air and gives us the energy to take on the adventures of life with alert and focused minds.

     Church/worship isn’t only there when we are traveling through life’s valleys.  It is also there when our life takes us to heights that soar above our wildest dreams.  And if that is where you are this week, let me invite you to come to worship/church this Sunday for an oxygen treatment.  I know that you will find it to be a very welcome friend.

Have a great week.

God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernbeger

No comments:

Post a Comment