Monday, November 14, 2016

The Bungee Cord  11-14-16

Hello,

     I woke up about 1:15 last night, and if I wouldn’t have looked at my clock, I would have thought that daybreak had arrived.  The sky was completely clear of clouds and the moon was incredibly bright.  It was so bright that the light that it cast into my house was nearly enough to read by, and vivid shadows fell on the outside ground.  The brightness had been forecast and even named, “the super moon”.  Last night’s rendezvous with the moon was the closest encounter for the last 68 years, so the scientists said.

     Of course, the light that emanates from the moon does not come from the moon, at least the moon does not produce it.  The light comes from the sun.  The moon just reflects it, and as I discovered in the wee hours of last night, it is reflected most brightly when there is nothing blocking it and when it is closest.

     As one who bears the name of Christ (i.e. Christian), I see a lot of myself in the moon (I realize that I just set myself up for comments about likenesses to “the old man in the moon”, or “green cheese”.).  Although I, like the moon, may generate some energy and power, the truth is that the power that Christ has given me to reflect in the world is incomparably mightier and brighter.  And I have also seen that Christ’s darkness dissipating grace is most profoundly reflected upon others when there is nothing blocking it between me and they, and when I am closest to them.  Just like a super moon.

     There are, of course, many things that get in the way between others and me.  Many of my own making.  My greed….my narrowmindedness….my arrogance….my thoughtlessness…just to name a few.  And although I can’t do anything to declutter the things that others pile up in our interpersonal space, I can do something about the things that I hoard that get in the way.  Repentance.   It is a daily task, empowered by the grace of God.

     And then there is that other thing about the degree of reflection of the light of Christ from me to others; my distance from them.  I know that, like the moon, the closer I am to others the brighter the reflection.  Yet, I find myself falling into the temptation to keep a distance from many.  I have a way of naming others “them” instead of “us”.  It is less work, less painful, and less bothersome to orbit in isolation.

     But God won’t let me.  God, in Christ, has joined my orbit, and has brought into my orbit everyone in Christ’s orbit.  Jesus is drawing me ever closer to others.  That is what Jesus does when he draws me to church on Sunday morning.  That is what Jesus does when he opens my heart to others in prayer.  That is what Jesus does when he gathers me around his table.  That is what Jesus is doing through the writing and reading of this Bungee Cord!

     It was nice to wake up in the middle of the night and not stumble my way through darkness.  No bruised shins from bumping into a dresser.  No tumbling from tripping over shoes.  No stubbed toes from kicking a wall.  It is my hope that such delight does not only happen in my house, but in the world…..not once every 68 years….but every day.  “Shine, Jesus, Shine!”
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment